While aging is inevitable, it does not mean that you have to sit down and do nothing about it. In fact, you can slow down the aging process. The secret lies in eating right. Consuming the right food means your body gets the nutrition it requires to function optimally and perform repairs at the cellular level. When you start treating your body with love and respect, it will respond and you will notice that the aging process actually slows down. You will feel more energized and be able to do many things that previously you couldn’t because of your unhealthy food choices.
Here are five foods that can slow the aging process and help you stay young for a longer period of time.
- Blueberries – Not only are blueberries delicious, but they are also replete with antioxidants. According to the oxidative stress theory, free radicals damage the body at the cellular level, thereby impairing their functioning and hastening the process of aging. In fact, free radicals are responsible for a number of age-related disease, such as diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, and even certain types of cancer. One study states free radical damage to lipids, proteins and DNA increases as the body ages. But, when you provide your body with adequate antioxidants, like from blueberries, it will slow down the aging process.
- Dietary Fiber – When you consume whole grains, fruits, veggies and legumes, you are consuming dietary fiber. This fiber ensures your digestive system works optimally and you do not suffer from constipation. On the other hand, if you shun dietary fiber and consume a diet that is high in fat and calories, you will be at a greater risk of developing Type 2 diabetes, dementia, cardiovascular disease and certain cancers - conditions that are associated with being overweight and obese. Research shows that eating food that is rich in fiber, such as fruits, vegetables and whole grains, can keep your cholesterol in check and prevent age-related diseases as it keeps your weight under control.
- Natural Yogurt – Bone loss is a major concern as the body ages. It can lead to osteoporosis. While women are more susceptible to osteoporosis, even men can get it. By consuming natural yogurt regularly, you can minimize bone loss. Also, yogurt contains beneficial bacteria that keep your digestive system running optimally.
- Nuts – Almonds, cashew nuts, peanuts and macadamia nuts, are one of the healthiest foods out there if you are looking to slow down the aging process. They are rich in Omega-3 essential fatty acids, unsaturated fat, proteins and fiber. Consuming nuts on a regular basis will keep your heart healthy and prevent onset of diseases that come with age. You will also have the energy to be physically active.
- Broccoli – Remember how your mother used to force you to eat broccoli. Your mother was right in doing so. Broccoli is filled with antioxidants, fiber and different types of vitamins to ensure your body gets the nutrients to fight the natural aging process. As a result, consumption of broccoli slows down the aging process, allowing you to maintain a youthful body and mind.